Monday, March 24, 2008

Skiing in MD/PA?


OK, I admit it, I'm a ski snob. Growing up in Colorado has forever tainted my view of mountains and the expectations I have in participating in mountain based activities. So when we decided the kids had gone long enough without being introduced to skiing and that I would just need to take them to the local ski resort, I wasn't expecting much.


Earlier in the week, I was in Utah on business and noted they had a night skiing deal for $15 pass and full equipment rental was $13. Upon arriving at Ski Liberty (PA), I found we would be paying $50 for lift tickets and another $35 for equipment. I didn't even get a discount for using my own boots...


Snow was almost completely man made, but was not nearly as bad as I expected. The girls were outstanding in quickly getting a grasp of the basics. They participated in a one hour lesson and promptly told me that I was teaching them incorrect skiing principles (apparently, the "wedge/snowplow" is no longer in vogue in ski instruction). They were taught to turn rather than stop (this turned out to be an interesting distinction later on...). While on the bunny slope getting used to our skis, Kinney discoved a huge sinkhole by falling into it.


Once they started enjoying the bunny slope, Kinney wanted to try something a bit more challenging. Off we went to ski her first "Blue" slope. Two SPECTACULAR crashes later (one could best be described as a Superman impression), Kinney was back to enjoying the color green. In the afternoon, we had an experience that I had never had before in my many years of skiing - skiing in a driving rain with ponchos flapping in the wind. Look forward to introducing them to "real" skiing out West...

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Great news, Jim. You do know world class skiers come to Mt. Hood all the time. So when do we look forward to this ski trip to the west?